by Alondra Soto

On November 16, San Diego City College students walked out of their classrooms to lead a peaceful protest against the election and Trump.

Students displaying signage. Photo by Alondra Soto.

They started their protest at SDCC in the MS building and went through the AH building, chanting, “Speak up, walk out!” in order to motivate more students to join them and speak up for themselves and those who are unable to speak out. They walked through the campus all the way to the main entrance of the college where they met up with San Diego High School students who also walked out to join the college students. Before progressing the peaceful march through the streets of downtown, three people spoke on a megaphone, motivating and inspiring students.

SDCC professor Justin Akers-Chacón offers words of encouragement during peaceful demonstration. Photo by Alondra Soto.

The first to speak was the Vice President of M.E.Ch.A., Monique Sandoval. She announced that the protest was not about Hillary Clinton or about President-elect Donald Trump, but about us, the people, coming together in solidarity to be the voice of many who are afraid.

Next, Chicano Studies professor Justin Akers-Chacon took the megaphone, sharing words of encouragement. Following the professor was a San Diego High School student named Kendra. She shared her feelings with the gatherers, finishing with “Trump is not our president.”

The protest then left City College and went through the streets of downtown San Diego.

Many people in the downtown area stopped what they doing and stepped outside of their apartments and jobs to show support, cheering and motivating the students and protesters.

During the protest without reason, other than to agitate, San Diego police officers created a human barricade stopping the peaceful march. Some officers aggressively shoved their way through the crowd of students, resulting with a police officer being shoved in return.

To diffuse the situation, another student stepped in and tried to pull the student, who put his hands on the officer, away in order to continue the peaceful protest and keep each other safe. But the student who stepped in was arrested as the culprit.

Students progressing the rally through downtown. Photo by Alondra Soto.

Prior to the arrest, the innocent student was seen man-handled by officers and dragged around violently, eventually causing his face to bleed. Other students stood up for the detained student, voicing his innocence, when the police began to push all students around, dropping them and not caring whether they were male or female, young or old. Though the incident happened, it did not keep the students from marching forward and protesting—instead it gave them more motivation and determination to prove their point.